No-go foods for your doggo
April 9th, 2019 12:50
Everyone’s been told to never let dog’s eat chocolate but do you know why that is? With Easter just around the corner there’s no better time than now to find out! In fact, we’ve put together a shortlist of foods that are no-go when it comes to your doggo.
It’s no secret that chocolate can be one of the worst foods for your pup to ingest. The effects of chocolate vary dependent on the size of dog and the type of chocolate that’s eaten. Chocolate consists of a toxin called theobromine, something that’s easy for people to digest, but takes a bit more time for our four-legged friends. Dark and powdered chocolates have higher toxicity than milk and white chocolate, the more cocoa/cacao present, the more harm it will do to your dog. Smaller amounts consumed will result in an upset stomach, accompanied with vomiting and/or diarrhoea, hyperactivity and panting. The more chocolate that’s ingested results in more severe (and sometimes fatal) symptoms, including heart issues, seizures and shaking.
*If you’re worried your pet has any of the above symptoms, and has ingested even a small amount of chocolate, contact your vet as soon as possible.
Whilst some humans need their morning, or even afternoon coffee(s) to function, it’s best your dog doesn’t do the same… A coffee ‘hit’ for your dog isn’t essential, and could cause serious heart problems or seizures. Similar to chocolate, caffeine poisoning can cause different symptoms depending on how much is ingested. Symptoms can include vomiting, shakes, seizures and increased heart rates. The best way to relieve symptoms is inducing vomit but it’s best to contact your vet if you are worried your dog has consumed caffeine and is showing any of these or unusual symptoms.
Xylitol is an artificial sugar/sweetener found in a range of sweets, including (but not limited to) lollies and chewing gum. Traces of xylitol are especially present as a sugar alternative in ‘sugar free’ products. It is important to always read backs of labels before feeding your dog any sweet treat – especially peanut butter – make sure to always give treats that do not contain xylitol. Xylitol can effect insulin and blood sugar levels, as well as causing vomiting, tiredness, seizures and sometimes liver failure.
Macadamias, pecans, walnuts and almonds are all unsafe for your dog to eat. These nuts have high traces of oils and fats, which can take a toll on your dog in terms of vomiting and diarrhoea. Macadamia nuts are one of the worst nuts for your dog to ingest, as they are toxic and may cause vomiting, shaking, increased temperatures and the inability to walk.
Other foods, which can cause toxicity or be harmful to your dog include (but are not limited to):
- Meat bones
- Citrus Oils
- Poisonous Mushrooms
If you are worried that your pet has ingested any of the mentioned foods/ingredients and if they are showing any of the above symptoms please contact your vet as soon as possible.